Thursday – March 13, 2014
Green Eggs and Ham IV Casita Rally
Gunter Hill COE Campground
Cool temperatures in the mid-thirties and a sunny sky greeted us this morning at the Gunter Hill Campground in Montgomery, Alabama. Despite the cool temperature, we completed our daily five-mile morning walk. As the day progressed, the temperature climbed into the high fifties.
This is day two of the Green Eggs & Ham IV Casita Trailer Rally. At 3:00 p.m. we attended a very informative talk on camping in Alaska. Like a sponge, we absorbed every bit of information shared by several campers who had previously traveled to Alaska. This information is very timely since we are tentatively planning a trip to Alaska in 2015.
Topics of discussion included:
- Best time of year to visit.
- Interesting places to visit.
- Camping and which campgrounds will require reservations.
- Best places to shop.
- Favorite restaurants.
- Best places to convert U.S. currency to Canadian currency.
- Protecting tow vehicle and trailer from road debris.
- Medical documents.
- Vehicle insurance cards for Canada from your U.S. insurance company.
- Ferry rides.
- Crossing the border into Canada (interaction with border guards and forbidden items).
- Recommended travel directories and books on Alaska.
The event concluded around 4:45 p.m. We returned to our campsite to prepare dinner.
The weather forecast is for the temperature to drop into the high thirties tonight, so we will rely on our trusty electric heater to keep us warm and cozy.
Tomorrow another adventure begins.